Thursday, February 19, 2015

Slumping Vaguely Onward

I know everyone in the whole world is singing the same tune, but: seriously, this winter. I am bereft of motivation, energy, warmth, and basically all good things.

Anyway, in an attempt in the last few days to un-stick myself, I've done a few things to progress on this project.

The first was to attend a workshop through Geek Mountain State on writing science fiction. Yes, I know, history is not precisely writing science fiction. Or really, not at all the same thing. But it was good to talk about writing, and to be among people who aspire to write. It's been a long time since I have thought of myself as a writer. I have fallen into thinking of myself as an historian first, and the writing being one method of communication. I like getting back to that identity as writer.

(Plus, two of the speakers were friends, and it was good to support friends who write.)

The second is an upcoming lecture about Joseph Battell. I've only mentioned Battell obliquely here on the blog, because his role in the work I'm doing is more historiographical than historical, but he is a crucial figure in the history of the Morgan horse in general. He picked up the work that Linsley did in reconciling early accounts of Figure and in tracing progeny and expanded on it tenfold, publishing the first true stallion register. He was also responsible for reinvigorating the breed through his breeding decisions around the turn of the century, when that true foundation style was all but lost. His Morgan horse farm in Weybridge eventually became the Government stud, which is today the UVM stud.

Anyway: Battell. Interesting guy, and learning and thinking more about him will help inform some of the general framing on the project.

Third, this article from the Harvard Business Review about making time for your passion project: yeah. Yeah. I needed that kick in the pants.


1 comment: